The club is one of New Zealand's oldest remaining athletic clubs. It was formed on 22 March 1926 at Seddon Memorial Technical College in Wellesley Street as an 'Old Boys' athletic club. Fourteen young men attended, including two of their masters. Initially, a track club, a harriers section was added in 1931. About 1960, the club moved its 'home base' to the Glendowie area. Our base is currently the Glendowie Boating Club.